According to Golf Digest, Rory McIlroy is lining up himself to play for the United States Ryder Cup in 2020.
What kind of buffoonery is this?
With his latest criticisms of how European Tour courses are set up to calling the Ryder Cup an exhibition in 2009, McIlroy has been perceived as slowly removing himself from the European scene.
GD sites the following clues:
- 2013 – Moved from Northern Ireland to Florida (wouldn’t you?)
- 2016 – Declined opportunity to playin the Olympics
- 2017 – Married an American Citizen
- 2018 – Opted out of hosting the Irish Open to celebrate the 4th of July
- 2019 – Euro Tour Commissioner, Keith Pelley had to “beg” McIlroy to take up European Tour membership, which was at his wife’s strong encouragement.
- 2019 – Played a more US centric schedule
Now, consider the other clues that Golf Digest unearthed: Rory’s citizenship. Since moving to Florida in 2013, that satisfies the five years of residence in the US and his marriage to a US citizen is coming up to the three year threshold.
It’s pretty intriguing conspiracy theory and a great read, so go over and check out Golf Digest for all the novella level details.