With all the talk about Tiger Woods in the air, it’s only fitting that this week we take a look at Blair O’Neal’s ‘Sexy’ tip on how to hit the stinger. Tiger used this as his go-to shot during several Open Championships and other majors to deal with a shaky driver and high wind conditions.
-= See MORE Golf Tips Here =-
The stinger is a low shot that cuts underneath the wind rather than ballooning into the air in an arch, like most of our shots. Here’s how she does it:
- Choose a long-iron and tee it low – You’ll be needing a low-lofted club for this shot. It’s easiest to start with your longest iron and then move onto perhaps your 3-wood or hybrid. To complement the low loft, tee it just above the grass so you don’t start with any unnecessary height.
- Ball position closer to your back foot – This causes your clubface to strike the ball at a much steeper angle, reducing the flight even further.
- Hands leaning forward – This lowers the loft of your club further and encourages your hands to strike down on the ball at impact, rather than scooping it up.
- Open stance – Since this is a low shot that encourages you to hit the ball on a steeper angle with a lower loft, open your stance to ensure that you can follow through more. The direction won’t suffer because you leaned your hands forward, which naturally cancels out the effect of your feet pointing left (for right-handed golfers) or right (for left-handed golfers).
- 3/4 swing – A shorter swing will ensure that there is no excess movement in your swing that can ruin this precision shot and make sure that you focus on the most important aspect of this shot, which is the loft of your club going into impact.
What qualifications does Blair O’Neal have? Check them out below along with photos.
Blair O’Neal, has been golfing since the age of 11, playing in tournaments all around the world. She played for Arizona State University where she won two NCAA Long Drive contests and recently competed on the Golf Channel’s Big Break: Dominican Republic, where she won MVP and an exemption to the 2011 LPGA Kia Classic in March. Blair has also been modeling throughout her golfing career and was named one of Sports Illustrated “Top 50 Hottest Athletes of All Time” in 2008 and more recently as one of the “Most Beautiful Women in Golf”in 2013. Watch out for Blair’s killer swing with her new Cobra drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons.