The European Tour wants to engage millennial golfers and they’re putting their money where their mouth is. The tour has created the GolfSixes tournament, a new team event where players will battle throughout six holes to win $1.1 million.
How the Tournament Will Work:
- Two-man teams (16 different countries represented by highest ranked European Tour golfer who is available starting March 13, 2017, and who will choose a teammate)
- Teams split into groups of four on first day
- Greensomes match play format (both players on each two-man team will hit tee shots on every hole, and the best tee shot is where players will start switching off until the hole is done)
- Every hole won equals one point and team with most points after all six holes wins
- Top two from each group will advance to the knockout rounds
- Quarterfinals, semifinals, final, and playoff for third will be played on second day
Here’s what the chief executive of the European Tour, Keith Pelley, had to say about this new exciting event:
We have said for some time that golf needs to modernise and introducing innovative new formats is a major part of achieving that aim, which is why I am delighted to announce the launch of GolfSixes today.
We want to broaden the appeal of our sport to the millennial demographic. This format will do that, not only through the quick and exciting style of play, but also with the interactive digital experience and innovative television coverage.
There is no question that the greatest atmosphere in golf comes every two years at the Ryder Cup and we are keen to try and emulate that national fervour in this format. We are in the entertainment content business with golf as our platform and GolfSixes is the perfect illustration of that.”
Speeding up golf has been a hot topic of discussion so it will be interesting to see how this format plays out. The inaugural GolfSixes tournament will take place on May 6th – 7th at the Centurion Club by St Albans.